Peanut Butter and Oat-Crusted Breakfast Pizza

by Lori on March 8, 2012

As a home cook, there are times when I find myself challenged in the kitchen.  Fancy techniques and tricky recipes occasionally lure me in when I have the time and am feeling adventurous.  But this recent challenge isn’t about being adventurous in that way.  It’s about creating a recipe to satisfy two middle-school-aged kids and their ever-hungry tummies.  Between school and sports and adolescence, my kids are forever rummaging through our pantry and refrigerator (creating chaos in those areas, I might add).  So when the lovely folks at Peanut Butter & Co. and Bob’s Red Mill reached out to me and asked me to develop a recipe for their Nuts About Oats Recipe Contest and Sweepstakes, I knew it was a situation where necessity met opportunity.  And I needed to create a breakfast recipe that would be nutritious, substantial and occasionally portable because let’s face it, sometimes we need to eat in the car.  But most important of all, it had to be something my kids would want to eat.

Friends, I’m not really into shameless self-promotion, but I have to say I think I nailed it on this one.  The Peanut Butter and Oat-Crusted Breakfast Pizza covers all the prerequisites and it’s really good without being a sugar-laden breakfast food.  Everyone who was tasting for me on this recipe development journey loved the combination of chewy peanut-butter oat crust and creamy peanut butter spiked Greek yogurt.  There’s a hint of sweetness and cinnamon running throughout and the surprise of chopped peanuts and golden raisins in the crust.

Please don’t let the forks in the picture fool you.  They are merely props.  This is a pizza in every sense and is best eaten out of hand.

To get the recipe you will have to visit NutsAboutOats.com.  While you’re there, I would LOVE it if you’d vote for my recipe (by voting you’ll have the chance to win something too as there are 5 $100 prize packages up for grabs).  It would mean so much to me if you did because the competition is really tough.  I’m up against some very talented food bloggers and they all brought their A-game to this contest with some incredible breakfast and brunch recipes.  Wow!

Thank you to Peanut Butter & Co. and Bob’s Red Mill for inviting me to participate in this contest.  I received free products to use in my recipe testing and a small honorarium for my participation.

Did you like this? Share it:

{ 16 comments… read them below or add one }

Laura (Tutti Dolci) March 9, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Breakfast pizza is such a clever idea! Love the peanut butter drizzle.
Laura (Tutti Dolci) recently posted..s’mores barsMy Profile

Lori March 12, 2012 at 9:48 am

Thanks Laura. I had fun coming up with the concept for this recipe contest :)

Gloria March 9, 2012 at 11:12 pm

Very cool Lori! Such a creative recipe. I love all these flavors. I’m rooting for you to win!
Gloria recently posted..Strawberry Tid Bits and a TartMy Profile

Lori March 12, 2012 at 9:45 am

Thanks Gloria! I appreciate the love and support! xx

Katie @ Epicurean Mom March 15, 2012 at 10:09 am

VOTED!! Good Luck Lori! You will totally win! This breakfast pizza sounds yummy! Very creative!
Katie @ Epicurean Mom recently posted..Baked Blueberry OatmealMy Profile

Lori March 15, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Thanks Katie! A win would be nice for sure ;)

yummy supper March 19, 2012 at 9:52 am

Lori what a fun challenge. I am in such a breakfast rut with my kiddos. I needed some new inspiration and here you are!
-E
yummy supper recently posted..ARUGULA SALAD WITH MARCONA ALMONDS, AVOCADO + FENNEL SLIVERSMy Profile

Lori March 21, 2012 at 8:12 am

Thanks E. The challenges are fun and force me to step outside of my comfort zone, which is always a good thing. The best part of this process was discovering how delicious peanut butter (or any nut butter for that matter) is when swirled into Greek yogurt! Yum :)

Let Me Eat Cake March 21, 2012 at 4:39 pm

this is a great idea! the oat crust sounds divine and love that you can eat this with you hands yum!
Let Me Eat Cake recently posted..Muffin Mondays | Lemon Almond Olive Oil MuffinsMy Profile

Rosa April 5, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Mmmhh, what a luscious treat! This pizza contains everything I love.

Cheers,

Rosa

Rachel T April 13, 2012 at 4:33 am

I just found this yummy looking entry on pinterest! could you post it though as it isn’t on that peanut butter website anymore – I really want to try it someday!

Lori April 13, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Hi Rachel T! Thank you so much for contacting me about the recipe. I have been informed that ilovepeanutbutter.com will have all of the contest recipes integrated onto their website sometime next week. You will be able to print the recipe then. If you want to have the recipe sooner, shoot me an email (lemons.lavender[at]gmail.com) and I will forward it to my contact at ilovepeanutbutter.com who will assist in getting the recipe emailed to you. The recipe belongs to ilovepeanutbutter.com and once their site is updated with all the recipes from the Nuts About Oats contest, I will adjust the link in my blog post. You can check back here or there when you’re ready to make the breakfast pizza :)

Rachel April 13, 2012 at 3:02 pm

I voted for your recipe when I saw it in the line-up on Peanut Butter & Co.’s website, and printed it out to try it! My crust came out more crumbly than chewy, but I did substitute almond butter. Just wanted to double-check that I wasn’t missing an egg in the crust or anything. :)

Lori April 13, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Hi Rachel! Thank you so much for the vote, and I’m so glad to know that you made the recipe :)

The ingredients did not include an egg. I tested the crust multiple times to get it right and found that golden syrup and the combination of chunky and natural peanut butter gave me the best chewy results. During the testing process, I had crumbly crust when I didn’t use the natural peanut butter – just those couple of tablespoons made all the difference in creating a more cohesive chewy crust. We had to use peanut butter, per the contest rules, so I didn’t test the recipe with almond butter. I’m bummed that your version didn’t come out the way you wanted and wonder if adding a bit of oil or increasing the butter would help. Did you substitute or omit the golden syrup?

Rachel April 14, 2012 at 7:02 am

I did use the golden syrup (thank goodness, Amazon.com sells it in six-packs; I always have a supply in the pantry). I suspect that the peanut butter-almond difference was a significant one, since almond butter seems more “watery” in texture than pb. It still tasted great, in any case! :) I’m just topping the crumbled pizza with vanilla Greek yogurt and strawberries. Will try tweaking the liquids next time. Thanks for your help!

Lori April 17, 2012 at 11:05 am

Rachel, I think you’re right about the peanut butter and almond differences. Kudos for the improvisation, which as any cook knows, is a huge part of finding your comfort in the kitchen. Thank you for the feedback – always appreciated :)