White On Rice Couple Food Photography and Styling Workshop

by Lori on October 19, 2011

I spent this past Saturday in the company of some pretty amazing people and it’s taken me a few days to process it all.

A couple months ago, Todd and Diane, the White on Rice Couple, announced an upcoming workshop at their new studio in Orange County.  I haven’t been able to attend any of the recent blogging conferences where they’ve presented or photography workshops they’ve conducted, so learning of this somewhat local opportunity was exciting.  Todd and Diane are incredible photographers and storytellers, so I jumped at the chance to be with them for an entire day.

But the circumstances surrounding this workshop weren’t the same as the ones they’ve previously hosted.

This workshop was a fundraiser held in response to A Fund For Jennie where bloggers donated their time and talents in an effort to raise funds to help Jennifer Perillo of In Jennie’s Kitchen.  (Jennie’s story isn’t mine to tell, but the link I provided will take you to her blog where she so poignantly shares it herself.)  The sense of community I witnessed while all the various auctions were in full swing was incredible.  Whether it was making a pie or making a donation, the food blogging community stepped up and showed depth and heart beyond anything I could have imagined.

After seeing this, I have total prop room envy!

Each time I attend a food blogging event or conference, I walk away with a renewed sense of spirit from the people I have been with.  We gather together, many of us never having met before, and we share.  We each have our own story, but our passion for food, both literally and visually, is the same.  We build the bridges that further connect ourselves to our ever-growing community, and we learn from each other.

I walked away with a greater appreciation for the craft and a deeper understanding of my visual voice.  Todd and Diane are the real deal, genuine and giving beyond measure.  And their energy is infectious.  I learned so much.

Regardless of what brought us all together or where my journey in the blogosphere takes me, I am a better, more fulfilled person because of the friendship and inspiration from those who generously shared theirs.

Thank you Todd and Diane for an uplifting, soul-satisfying and inspirational day!

Here are some additional images from the day:

Watching Diane build out this shot was a lesson in simple artistry.

The dinner table was aglow with the end-of-the-day light.

We made our own Vietnamese beef, shrimp and vegetable rolls accented with Diane's home grown Vietnamese herbs. Incredible!

We used the grills to cook our beef, shrimp and veggies.  The bowl of hot water was to soften the rice paper (?).  My hands were so busy with the chopsticks, cooking, rolling everything up, and dipping the rolls into the wonderful sauces, I didn’t have time for any pictures.  But I have every intention of recreating this type of meal in my own home.  My kids would love it!

Did you like this? Share it:

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

Barbara @ Barbara Bakes October 19, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Not only do I have prop room envy, but I envy you for this fabulous opportunity to learn from the best. Your pics from the day are great!
Barbara @ Barbara Bakes recently posted..Corner Bakery Cinnamon Creme Coffee CakeMy Profile

Lori October 20, 2011 at 11:46 am

Hi Barbara! Thank you. It was an incredible day all around, and I feel so lucky to have been a part of it.

Krista {Budget Gourmet Mom} October 19, 2011 at 9:11 pm

What an amazing experience! I have no doubt that processing everything you learned took awhile. As always, Lori, the pictures are amazing!
Krista {Budget Gourmet Mom} recently posted..Apple Pie Filling {Let’s Talk Turkey}My Profile

Lori October 20, 2011 at 11:45 am

Thanks Krista! You are always so kind and complementary. You’re spoiling me!

Gloria October 19, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Lori, it was great to meet you on Saturday. I know what you mean about it taking a while to process it all. Saturday was an awesome day and left me lots to think about. I totally have prop room envy too. I took my first pictures today with my camera off the food setting! But, I have to be honest and say I did some manual and some on the food setting (just in case). Guess it’s hard to go cold turkey.

Love your first shot with the contrasting orange and blue. Beautiful!
Gloria recently posted..Creme BruleeMy Profile

Lori October 20, 2011 at 11:43 am

Hi Gloria. Thank you and so nice of you to stop by. I see you made yourself a Twitter account as well. Good for you. I’ve been playing around with my camera on manual as well. I don’t know what I was waiting for! I really do prefer the control over the Food setting. To be honest, I had to get my manual out and re-read the explanation of how to set both the aperture and shutter. For some reason I didn’t get into that when I first got the camera, choosing to play with it for a while first. I got comfortable with it and didn’t look beyond even though I was internally wanting more from my images. Wasn’t that prop room incredible? It was like looking through someone’s closet and wanting all of their shoes for yourself!

Nancy@acommunaltable October 21, 2011 at 12:29 pm

Beautiful shots Lori!! I am so glad that you were able to come – it was so much fun to spend time with you. Can’t wait until we do it again!!!
Nancy@acommunaltable recently posted..Witches HatsMy Profile

Katie@Epicurean Mom October 23, 2011 at 9:58 pm

Lori! Love love love all these pics! You got some great shots!! So great seeing you my dear!! Let’s do it again soon?? Santa Barbara is calling your name! 😉

xoxo
Katie

Lori October 30, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Katie, Thank you! I’m ready for a SB field trip for sure. Farmer’s market and coffee/lunch perhaps? Let’s plan it soon.