Photo Friday: Marzipan

by Lori on June 24, 2011

While walking through Milan, Italy a few years back, I came across this storefront (a bakery I presume).  The gorgeous marzipan-sculpted fruits immediately reminded me of my mom.  (She went through a cake decorating phase when I was a child and would make fruits out of marzipan.)  But what really got me were the dentures on the row below.

Did you like this? Share it:

{ 11 comments… read them below or add one }

Sara June 24, 2011 at 3:19 pm

I'm crazy for marzipan. I love how it tastes all on its own, but the fact that it can be so beautifully crafted and decorated makes it all the more special! Love the title of your blog; so evocative.

Susan June 24, 2011 at 3:38 pm

The dentures are hilarious, but the fruits look real! Leave it to the Italians to be such artists!

yummy supper June 26, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Those dentures are too funny!
-E

Jean | Delightful Repast June 27, 2011 at 6:27 pm

My mother did things like sculpting marzipan, making chocolate leaves, all those fussy little details that I so love but can't spare the time or energy to do myself! I'm just glad we can buy them instead of having to make them. (Think I'll pass up the dentures!)

Barbara June 28, 2011 at 4:13 pm

That really made me laugh. All those gorgeous fruits and then dentures….which would probably come out if they bit into the fruit. :)

Am loving the cherry tart in your last post!

Lemons and Lavender June 29, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Sara – Thank you! I like marzipan too and remember sneaking little bites of the fruits my mom would make for her cakes.

Lemons and Lavender June 29, 2011 at 4:31 pm

Jean | Delightful Repast – I know exactly what you mean. My mom used to make all of her own marzipan fruits and other cake decor, not to mention decorating the cake with fancy icing designs! Way too much time and effort for me. I've got to hand it to those who go all out with the sugar cookie decoration; I just don't have that in me!

Lemons and Lavender June 29, 2011 at 4:34 pm

E – I kept thinking to myself after I saw this bakery that someone has a need for marzipan dentures otherwise they wouldn't be made. Maybe there was a dental school or university nearby. And if you look closely, to the right of the dentures are cactus in pots. What on earth would you do with that? Still, I love the creativity and detail.

Lemons and Lavender June 29, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Barbara – Thank you! I was thinking the same thing when I saw the dentures. My friends and I got a good laugh about it though.

Barbara | Creative Culinary July 1, 2011 at 4:02 pm

I've not been to Milan but did visit Boston several years ago for a short vacation and spent most of my time in their Little Italy. I will never forget the bakery that looked just like your photo…such beautiful work displayed every day. Thanks for the trip down memory lane…and this beautiful photo.

Lemons and Lavender July 1, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Thanks Barbara. I love it when food becomes art. While I don't have the patience to do it myself, I do have enormous appreciation for it.