Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Lemon, Walnuts and Parmesan

by Lori on April 18, 2011

When I make my weekly trek to the farmers market, I usually have my shopping list tucked away in my head.  I  scan the market stands to see what everyone’s bringing and then I pick up my staple items as I go.  It’s a combination of inspiration and necessity.  It works for me.

Every now and then there’s an unexpected surprise.  Such was the case this past week when I encountered  a small assortment of Brussels sprouts, of all things, from one of my favorite vendors.  There they were, purposely tucked in between the asparagus and cauliflower to get the attention they deserved.  While filling a bag with handful after handful of the little gems, I was immediately impressed with their small size .  This suited me just fine because I think they smaller ones have a more nutty flavor.  I bought quite a few knowing that this rare opportunity was probably the result of clearing an end of season crop to make room for something new; it would more than likely be a while before I saw them again.

Once home, I rinsed the Brussels sprouts and grabbed a handful to munch on while putting away everything else.  They were tender and nutty, just as I had hoped they would be.  I grabbed my camera and thought I should snap off a few shots just in case the results of what I was anticipating were worth featuring now.

They were.  But I contemplated all weekend whether or not to post this recipe; Brussels sprouts aren’t as readily available as they were a few months ago.  However, the flavors of this salad/cole slaw were so light and springlike, I decided to go with it.  If you can get your hands on some Brussels sprouts within the next week or so, please grab them and make this.  It is delightfully simple and has the most refreshing flavors.  Once Brussels sprouts are gone, I think green or Savoy cabbage would be an excellent stand in.

Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Lemon, Walnuts and Parmesan

Rating: 51

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Total Time: 20 minutes

Yield: 4 side dish portions

I'm always looking for ways to incorporate the goodness of Brussels sprouts into my meals. The crunchy brightness from the raw Brussels sprouts, walnuts and Meyer lemon peel is a refreshing change.

Ingredients

• 2 cups shredded Brussels sprouts
  • 2 3-inch strips of Meyer lemon peel (no white pith), julienned and halved
  • 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, lightly toasted
  • Olive oil
  • Lemon juice
  • Shaved Parmesan cheese
  • Salt and pepper, to taste

Instructions

1. Trim bottoms of Brussels sprouts and discard.
  2. Slice Brussels sprouts in half from top to bottom.
  3. Place flat side down on cutting board and slice thinly to form shreds.
  4. Place in a medium sized bowl and toss the slices to separate.
  5. Add Meyer lemon peel and toasted walnuts.
  6. Drizzle with olive oil and a squeeze of lemon to taste. Toss.
  7. Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper.
  8. Top with shaved Parmesan.

Notes

Using a sharp vegetable peeler is the easiest way to remove the Meyer lemon peel in strips. To julienne, simply run your knife down the strip of the peel lengthwise to create thin slices. Cut those julienned pieces in half. If using a regular lemon, it may be better to zest a portion of the peel instead of julienne it.

I toasted walnut halves at 350 degrees F for about 5 minutes, allowed them to cool and used the palm of my hand against the cutting board to break them up into chunks. This also helped to remove some of the looser skins that would have otherwise freckled the slaw.

I used a vegetable peeler to shave a wedge of Reggiano (Parmesan).

I used Maldon flaked sea salt and highly recommend it, but kosher salt would work just fine too.

Did you like this? Share it:

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

Jean | Delightful Repast April 19, 2011 at 1:37 am

What a lovely dish! Hope I can get my hands on a few more sprouts!

The Souper April 19, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Fantastic recipe for Spring. I usually roast brussel sprouts with olive oil, salt & pepper and pinch of red pepper flakes.
Your recipe is a refreshing idea inspiring me to give this a try.

The Souper

Lizzy April 19, 2011 at 3:00 pm

I found you via Sabrina's blog…what a wonderful spot you have here :) Your shredded sprout salad looks incredible!

MikeVFMK April 21, 2011 at 12:07 am

This only has three comments? That's a shame. I clicked on your name on my post and was so happily surprised to see such a wonderful blog.

Love the images and this might be the one dish that would tempt me try and enjoy brussels sprouts. So pretty! Glad I clicked!

Lemons and Lavender April 21, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Jean, Thank you. I suspect this recipe could be modified to use green cabbage that has been quickly sauteed. It will result in a slightly warmer salad, but I think that would be good too.

Lemons and Lavender April 21, 2011 at 2:27 pm

The Souper, I love roasted Brussels sprouts and I've also marinated them (posted that recipe in January 2011, I think). I like them both for different reasons. But for now, I'm stuck on this salad!

Lemons and Lavender April 21, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Hi Lizzy, thanks for clicking over from Sabrina's blog (The Tomato Tart) and saying such nice things about my blog. Comments like yours are always welcomed and totally make my day!

Lemons and Lavender April 21, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Hi Mike
I'm so glad you came by too! And thank you so much for the very nice comments about my blog.

This dish may just convert you into a lover of Brussels sprouts. The crispy yet tender shreds have a way of changing your mind about everything negatively associated with previous Brussels sprout experiences.

Callie April 21, 2011 at 4:03 pm

This looks absolutely perfect! I'm going to try it this weekend!

Jennifer and Jaclyn @ sketch-free vegan April 21, 2011 at 4:22 pm

i've never seen shredded brussels before!

feel free to submit your health food photos to: http://www.healthfreakfood.com

it's a tastespotting-esque type of site but for health foodies.

yummy supper April 22, 2011 at 3:34 am

Lori,
Absolutely gorgeous! I had almost forgotten about brussel sprouts – it has been so long since I tasted them. I am a total fan and your salad/slaw is a dish I must try! What a great combination of flavors and textures.
I always look forward to seeing what you do next..
Yours,
E

Lemons and Lavender April 26, 2011 at 12:55 am

Thank you Erin. Your comments are always a highlight to my day!